BRISBANE, AUSTRALIA - DECEMBER 23: Michael Neser of the Heat celebrates after taking the catch to dismiss Matt Short of the Strikers during the Men's Big Bash League match between the Brisbane Heat and the Adelaide Strikers at The Gabba, on December 23, 2022, in Brisbane, Australia. (Photo by Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images)

Australian bowling all-rounder Michael Neser has agreed to an overseas T20 contract that will see him play the first eight T20 Blast games of the season.

Neser's recruitment will see him join Hampshire and help fill in to cover fellow bowlers Kyle Abbott (South Africa) and Mohammad Abbas (Pakistan).

It will also see him replace compatriot Nathan Ellis. Ellis spent time with Hampshire for the competition last season, but due to the tournament clashing to the T20 World Cup, he is unlikely to be available as he will likely be in Australia's World Cup squad.

Despite this, Neser is coming off a successful Big Bash League (BBL) campaign with the Brisbane Heat as they took home the title at the backend of last month.

"Nathan had a very positive impact on the team and we are confident that Michael will do the same," Hampshire Director of Cricket Giles White said.

"He adds quality across the disciplines and formats - he also comes with an excellent reputation as a team-oriented player.

"He has good experience of English conditions and hopefully he can hit the ground running."

A former Glamorgan player, Neser expressed his excitement to be joining the team for the T20 Blast and can't wait to get started.

"I am very excited to have joined Hampshire Hawks for this year's Vitality Blast and can't wait to join up with the squad," Neser said.

"Utilita Bowl [Hampshire's home] looks to be an amazing place to play cricket and hopefully I can contribute to more success on the pitch."

BBC Solent has reported that Naveen-ul-Haq from Afghanistan will replace Michael Neser for the second half of the T20 Blast's group stage.